It is the knack of any natural-born storyteller to engage our belief,
so that with the very next sentence or flip of a page we might actually
learn something about ourselves. And it's often the simplest of folk
tales, the ones with equal measures of the horrific and fantastic, that
rivet our attention the most. Adrian Brooks takes a child's delight in
telling a good story and, with an appropriate mixture of innocence and
fright, commands attention in The Glass Arcade.
A shy
boy in rural Germany sees his parents gunned down by the Nazis and is
carried away. It is 1934, a decade before the rest of the world will
know of the fascist big lie. The boy keeps the truth of the experience
deeply buried- a persistent wound- and is unable to express it or live
fully with it, even 30 years later as a comfortable, married New York
suburbanite. Only a chance encounter with a handsome young stranger
pierces this numbing anguish, and slowly the man/boy unravels the story
of his abduction and subsequent life under the fascists, that of a
painted slave in a glittering palace catering to the sexual appetites of
the Nazi elite. It is a tale of adolescent awakenings and historic
undoings, of tenderness found in unexpected places and of that
particularly human quality that the Nazis despise, and fear, the most.
It is also a tale that, quite simply, is irresitable.
The book
was released last summer by Pocket Books, an affiliate of Simon &
Schuster. Like most first novels, it was expected to have a short life
before heading off to the paper shredders. But word-of-mouth, that quirk
of fate in any publisher's lexicon, quickly spread The Glass Arcade
to a wide and appreciative audience. The novel is now in its second
printing, a British edition has been released, and a Hollywood film is
under serious consideration.
For many readers, the heart of
the book's appeal lies with a young boy's coming of age in a fantastic-
and perverse- setting. Forging an identity as an alien, yet sometimes
seductive, environment is a perspective especially familiar to gay
readers. That many of the characters in the book- good as well as bad-
are homosexual seems incidental to the story. What's central is the
search for freedom and self-recognition in the face of impossible odds.
The book, quipped one reader, is best described as "Madam Kitty meets
Hermann Hesse."
An unlikely pairing, but seemingly less so
after a visit with Brooks in San Francisco, his home the past several
years. Poet, playwright, burgeoning cabaret performer, and now novelist,
Brooks somehow merges the trappings of a polite, upper crust
establishment upbringing with the sensibilities of a globe-trotting wild
child. His poetry has long been familiar to readers of Gay Sunshine.
His work in the theater- both written and performed- is familiar as
well to audience of The Angels of Light, a San Francisco troupe noted
for their ingenuous blend of message and stage magic and the recent
recipients of four Bay Area Critic Circle Awards, including one for best
over-all production.
It is the dichotomy- the unresolved
tension between knowing the best the material West has to offer and
paying the price for it- that has, in part, sparked Brooks' creative
spirit.
"My life has a double meaning, to be sure. But I have
found that to be very helpful. I don't think you can create without a
necessary impulse to heal or close a rift between subjective and
objective reality." In growing up within the privileged environment of
the Philadelphia Main Line, says Brooks, "There was always a duality
between being spoiled brats and having it drilled into our minds that it
wasn't enough being a spoiled brat- that you actually had to go out and
do something, yet confining your views to upper middle-class ethics and
the white ruling establishment."
Fortunate for him, he says,
that there were two factors making this "terribly impossible." He was
gay and a Quaker. "I knew I was gay as a child and was encouraged to go
around the house in drag- kimonos, scarves, jewelry. I was a little
theater object from the time I was three. My parents loved it- their
generation couldn't indulge that- but they didn't realize that there
were raising an artist. And because I was also raised Quaker, I heard
from a very early age about Mahatma Gandhi, prejudice and bigotry
against black people, which horrified me completely.
"I was
told nonviolent action was necessary, there is no ultimate right and
wrong, and that whatever you have to do, do it- because that's what
Quakers call 'The Inner Light.' It's what will help in terms of the
world."
Being trained in the role of "accomplished
intellectual," while at the same time exposed to the arts and to "a
moral life which had no clear form on the surface" left Brooks feeling
confused and in need of some way to express all the aspects of his
personality. He finished prep school "an academic washout" and began to
travel, still believing "that if you didn;t have a Ph.D you'd fail and
die in the gutter." About a year and a half later, he met someone who
had attended the Friends World College, the international Quaker school
whose centers all over the world aim to turn students into agents for
social change. "Naturally," Brooks laughs, "the Quakers put their
schools in the middle of the best dope routes in the world."
The central question raised by the college, he says, is how do educated
people from the industrialized West reconcile their knowledge of
materialistic society's limitations with the legitimate concerns of
Third World countries and developing nations. "I went iinto this world
under the context of being a nonviolent revolutionary. I wanted to
change things. This is an artist's function. I think that's everyone's
function, but when I say artist I don't mean people who just paint and
dance. I think art takes many forms.
"The question is, 'How do
we live on this planet and not exploit it? How do we all see ourselves
as part of the solution to the long tradition of trashing whatever could
be trashed for the quick buck?' I think that people whose lives take a
recognizable form and meaning are part of the solution. Time is running
out and yet, instead of political solutions, I see the only answer that
means anything in human terms. I'm a humanist, and believe that people
are much smarter than the systems that oppress them."
One of
the central characters in Brooks' recent novel is the aloof, majestic,
and ultimately compassionate Frederich Lorken. Lorken had been a famous
cabaret performer in Berlin, then the gayest city in the world. With the
Nazis' rise to power he is scooped up and transported to the Glass
Arcade, a palatial estate turned male brothel, where he is expected to
ply his powers as a consumate illusionist for the price of his life. One
suspects a strong connection between the character and Brooks' own
psyche.
"At an early age," says Brooks, "I chose illusion over
reality. I used to come home from school and make tiny little villages
and monasteries behind a hydrangea plant in our backyard. I had a whole
concept of a nonviolent, well-ordered little world. The games were my
illusions and I had an enormous peace while playing with them, an
incredible feeling of sanity- my own. Frederich is a dreamer, but
because he is an artist he actualizes his dreams. The Nazis profit from
his power, but he finds out how to restore his honor by investing more
in truth and love, as he sees it.
"Still, at a very early age
he thought he might be immune to the political activity around him
because he was an artist. He was much more cavalier towards life. When
he slipped, he saw immediately that protection, isolation, does not work
for anybody."
Brooks based his novel on a story by film
director Paul Aaronm who had attended the trial of Adolf Eichmann, the
man in charge of the "Final Solution"- the concentration camps.
"I had originally set the novel during the closing moments of the war,
but after reading about the persecution of homosexuals under the
National Socialists, Ernst Rohm and 'the Night of the Long Knives,' I
changed the focus to an earlier period. Because until Hitler killed
Rohm, assuming command of Germany by eliminating his only rival,
homosexuals still felt that they were immune from persecution. In Mein Kampf,
I don;t think that Hitler had marked homosexuals as fit targets for
persecution. In fact, there was a longstanding tradition of
homosexuality in the German military and in 1928, shortly after the
National Socialists did say that homosexuals were unfit people,
the Reichstag passed a law making homosexuality legal. Immediately after
this the stock market crashed and that liberal law was never enacted."
Are there any lessons to be learned from this today? "In Germany, which
after all was a very civilized country, homosexuals didn't see
themselves as an oppressed minority until, in one fell swoop, they
realized how precarious their position was. There was a certain myopia
within the general body politic which thought, 'Things are very
complicated right now, but if only we had a strong man in there it'll be
all right.' Aside from the fact that the Nazis were lying to the German
people, the people wanted a simplistic answer for a complicated
situation.
"Today, in this country, certainly in recent years,
the same thing is going on. When homosexuals came out of the closet in
the Stonewall riots there was an initial period of flash and exuberance
and a sense that society was going to be shaken up. But as in any
minority movement, after a certain period of attention-getting and
achievement of immediate goals and priorities there is a real schism
between people who want to be content with minimal acceptance and the
people who realize that the fight and need for social integration isn't
done until there is no longer any issue. The conservative drift
in the gay community- particularly in so many peoples' conformity- is so
highly obvious right now. But the danger is that this safety is
completely illusionary.
How is Brooks dealing with those issues
in his art? "There is a basic choice that every artist makes between
personal concerns and an overriding view of society. The worst art to me
is political art. I don't believe in it. I'm not into slogans. I'm much
more interested in seductions. In all my work there is a concealed
message. When you get to the end of something you can say, that showed a
woman taking responsibility for her life, or that showed old people
capable in the face of a society that denies their existence, or, that
showed a homosexual who wasn't so insatiable that he wouldn't be
responsible. While I would like to entertain and tell wonderful stories-
my priority in life is to become a performer- those ideas are my
concerns.
"My thinking isn't dictated by the fact that I'm a
homosexual. To me, it's an endless source source of wealth, but I'm not a
gay writer. I'm a writer who happens to be gay. If The Glass Arcade
is successful it has to do with the fact that there is a fully human,
interesting gay character who cares about art, life, people, politics
and values- who is also trapped.
"One of the most powerful
answers that gay people have to offer is how life can be lived not for
material gain or territorial protection, but how a heterogeneous society
can value more than just breeding grounds or the economics that support
biological renewal. There are bigger things at stake."
In The Glass Arcade Brooks
has used the disparate elements of his life- adventursome play in a
glitter-theater of the absurd and fantastic, the awareness of social
privilege, the insight that comes from conscious seeking- to reveal some
of mankind's darkest repressions. Yet the book titillates more than it
expounds, captivating with charm, sometimes by way of our prurient
curiosities. Brooks knows all too well the use of the veil- a device
used here not to disguise, but to prolong the pleasures of a singular
tale well told.
"I feel articulate and capable of disciplining
myself after 33 years- something I thought I'd never master. Part of my
urge to write is necessary proof to myself that I'm capable of
maintaining form. And there is a need for people who can create- on any
level- to do that. It helps other people.
"It's difficult
enough to make sense out of the world. The only sense I find is in
people who inspect their own hearts and decide what is meaningful to
them. Not taking form was the most terrifying prospect for me. Tennessee
Williams says that being a writer is like trying to construct a new
reality before the old one becomes untenable. I feel that way too. Each
time I begin a project, I'm changing my life. I'm moving forward and
trying to heal some fractures within myself."
by Mark Thompson
the Advocate
May 28, 1981
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment