Thursday, September 19, 2013
Finally, a Pope who talks sense.
Pope Francis just said that the Church should spend less time worrying about- (i.e., condemning)- women's freedom of choice regarding abortion, or divorce, or homosexuality and more time taking care of people spiritually, and administering comfort and support. I am not a Catholic but this is a statement I can get behind. God knows, the Church has a LOT to do in terms of protecting children from pedophiles and getting its priorities straightened out. But to give this man credit, he is making sense here. I love the fact that he lives in simple (shared) apartments in the Vatican, not in regal Papal splendor; that he drives himself around in a used car and appears unworried about what consenting adults do sexually when in private. We have a long way to go, that is sure. But these are moves in the right direction and if the Church stops persecuting women and gay people, and protects children, and stands up for poor people and opposes the ruin of the planet by big corporations, I will say "Hooray."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment