Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pure and simple gratitude

Something good happened for me yesterday. Actually,
several things, all concerning what I'll very grandly call
"my career." Every creative person lives in the hope-
or survives on the dream- of affirmation. Somehow,
we must endure it when it doesn't arrive. And mainly,
"success" doesn't come, so we have to bear that too. 

Yet, sometimes- perhaps only a few times in a lifetime?-
there is a moment of affirmation. And now it's happened.
But, strangely- and to my surprise- I don't feel the way
I thought I would. I mean, it's not about me; it's about
the Work. The work took over my life. So I suppose
it's also about Life, how I see it, what I wanted from it,
and what I hoped it would mean.

Moreover, in some larger sense, it's also about the things
underscoring work and life. For me, it's a sense of values-
the values of my own generation, the Sixties generation,
of which I remain so proud: our defiant opposition to war,
our willingness to confront racism, sexism and to side
on the side of consciousness rather than materialism.

Therefore, I see that this was never about me, not at all;
it was always about the mysterious ways in which Life
shapes us and reveals Destiny... so I feel only grateful
to have had this life, this opportunity to be used by Life
and to be part of something contributing to what I'll call
a Greater Good, insofar as Art is always about honoring
human values, human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers