Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Art imitarting life inimating Art

What an amazing day.

Since 1980- yes- since 1980, I have been writing
a novel titled SWAN OF THE GODS.

It is inspired by one of the great reclining nudes
painted by Amedeo Modigliani (the one at the Met)
and concerns how the painting influences the life
of the model and her family over a sixty year period.

Paradoxically, I know the painting extremely well.
My parents collected art; the bought things from
Klaus and Dolly Perls, who owned the Modigliani.
I used to go visit the painting and Klaus and Dolly
are characters in my book.

One of the major sub-themes concerns Nazi plunder
of art from Jews trying to get out of 1930s Germany.

Just now, I read that a cache of 1500 works of great
art, including some that I write about in my novel (!)
has been discovered in Germany. It's top international
news today.

What a coincidence! Life imitates art imitating life.
Or art imitates Life imitating art.

Go figure.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers